Two Student Assistants (f/m/x)
The WZB Berlin Social Science Center’s research area International Politics and Law, Research Group ‘Governance for Global Health’ (Head: Prof. Dr. Anna Holzscheiter), seeks
two Student Assistants (f/m/x).
One student assistant is to be employed for a period of 9 months, starting 01 August 2019 and a weekly working load of 10 hours.
A second student assistant is to be employed for a period of 5 months, starting 01 January 2020 and a weekly working load of 10 hours.
The positions are within the research project COLLISIONS (‘Responding to Norm Collisions: Procedural Norms and Interface Management in Fragmented Areas of Transnational Politics’), jointly directed by Prof. Dr. Anna Holzscheiter (WZB; Freie Universität Berlin) and Prof. Dr. Andrea Liese (University of Potsdam). COLLISIONS is part of the DFG Research Group ‘Overlapping Spheres of Authority and Interface Conflicts in the Global Order’ (www.osaic.eu) and, within the WZB, is connected to the Research Group ‘Governance for Global Health’.
The project COLLISIONS compares the emergence of norm collisions in six areas of international cooperation: human trafficking, drug control, organ trade, protection of refugees, genetically modified organisms, and child labour. It investigates the conditions under which norm collisions become manifest in international politics and how different actors (state, non-state, intergovernmental) respond to such collisions.
- Support of scientific work, including literature research and editorial work, support with conference organization and project coordination; collection and processing of data on the project’s six empirical case studies
- Advanced Bachelor’s or early Master’s student in International Relations, Political Science, International Law, Sociology, or related disciplines
- Very good academic record
- Very good skills in research and analysis
- Experience with data collection, processing, and management (e.g., in MaxQDA, Excel, STATA, R, or SPSS)
- Sound knowledge of MS Office applications
- Excellent command of written and spoken German, excellent command of written and spoken English
- Experience with qualitative methods of social science (quantitative and qualitative text analysis; discourse analysis; ethnographic methods)
- Experience with reference management software (e.g., Citavi, EndNote)
Salary: In accordance with German civil service standards (TV Stud III; currently € 12.50/hour).
Disabled candidates with equal qualifications will be given preference.
The WZB expressly invites women, as well as persons with migration background, to apply.
Candidates are kindly requested to send their applications (letter of motivation, CV, transcript of records, certificate of university enrolment, and copies of relevant certificates) per e-mail, in the form of one single PDF file, no later than 31st May 2019 to Sandrine Frideres, sandrine.frideres [at] wzb.eu. Interviews will be held in Berlin on the 17th of June 2019.
WZB Berlin Social Science Center
Reichpietschufer 50, 10785 Berlin