The WZB Berlin Social Science Center, ProjectGroup “The Internet Policy Field” (Head: Professor Dr. Jeanette Hofmann), research area “International Politics and Law”, is offering a position for a
for the period May 1, 2015 to February 28, 2019 (39-hour week) at the WZB in Berlin, Germany.
The project group’s research centers on the emergence of policy fields, primarily in the Internet policy field. Conceptually, the research focuses on two dimensions: the institutionalization and evolving policy discourse and the semantics that give meaning to specific political actions. The available position is for a research project focusing on the development and use of Big Data, funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)-.
The project will examine the social and economic challenges relating to “Big Data”, i.e. the huge data volume produced in the digital society. The project will bring together experts from the fields of law, ethics, sociology, economics and political science in an interdisciplinary network with the WZB representing the political science approach to the project. For details, please refer to http://www.wzb.eu/sites/default/files/u308/abida_kurzbeschreibung_2015-01-30.pdf
- independent processing of the project’s research topics
- preparation and coordination of project reports and in-depth studies
- organization of cooperation and communication processes in coordination with the head of the project
- presentation of project findings at conferences and in publications
- applicants should have completed their studies with excellent results (M.A.) in either political science, sociology, communication science or a related discipline, relevant to the project’s research topic; Ph.D. is desired.
- several years of experience in empirical social science research projects
- extensive knowledge on internet research and policies
- excellent writing and communication skills in English and German (if possible on a native-speaker level)
- good organizational and communication skills and willingness and capacity for teamwork.
Salary: Pay group 13 of german public service collective agreement
Equally well-qualified disabled persons will be given preference. The WZB expressly invites women and people with an immigrant background to apply.
Candidates are kindly requested to submit a valid application (CV including a list of publications, a research approach to the subject Big Data of max. 3 pages, one publication or a max. 20 page-excerpt from the dissertation). Email (up to two PDF-files)
by March 24, 2015 to
Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung gGmbH
Professor Dr. Jeanette Hofmann
Email: chris.reinelt [at] wzb.eu