Three student assistants (m/f/x)
The Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung gGmbH (WZB Berlin Social Science Center) seeks to fill three positions in its Democracy and Democratization research unit (Director: Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Merkel). We are seeking
three student assistants (m/f/x)
to support the ‘MARPOR Manifesto Research on Political Representation’ project (Director: Prof. Dr. Bernhard Weßels) from 1 July 2019 until 30 June 2021 with a weekly workload of 15 to 19 hours.
MARPOR (formerly known as CMP) is involved with the collection and comparative content analysis of parties’ electoral manifestos, supported by country experts from over 50 different countries. The project team coordinates the data generation and data analysis. It works with a complex technical infrastructure that is continuously developed. This infrastructure includes amongst others a coding platform and a large text corpus of annotated manifestos. MARPOR’s goal is to provide the scientific community with a database of party manifestos and policy positions derived from a content analysis of those manifestos from more than 50 countries over the period 1945 to 2021.
We ask interested students to apply for one of the following profiles:
Tasks: Support of the team in written communication with the country experts, preparation of work contracts, and the administrative and organisational preparation of workshops and conferences. Support in the processing of election programs and content analytical data.
- student in political science or a related social science
- interest in quantitative comparative research on democracy, parties, and elections
- very good command of the German and English language
- able to work independently
- experience with organisational and coordination tasks
- knowledge of additional foreign languages
- experience with statistical software (e.g., Stata, R)
- experience with LaTeX
Tasks: Support for the development of the project’s technological infrastructure. This includes assistance in the generation and enhancement of the project’s text corpora, the extension of the R-package manifestoR, data cleaning, data management, and data analysis. The role also includes support for the team in processing electoral programmes and content analytical data.
- student in political science or a related social science, psychology, economics, computer science, math, or related fields
- proficiency in a programming language (R, Python, Ruby, ...)
- willingness to learn R, in case of lack of R knowledge
- interest in comparative research on democracy, parties, and elections
- able to work independently
- very good command of the German and/or English language
- experience in generating and managing datasets and/or text corpora
- basic knowledge in quantitative research and/or computer-assisted content analysis
- experience in LaTeX
- experience in Git
Salary: TV Stud III
People with disabilities with equal qualifications will be treated preferentially. The WZB particularly welcomes applications from women and people from immigrant backgrounds.
Candidates are kindly requested to submit their application (including their CV, a letter of motivation, and all relevant certificates) no later than May 22, 2019 in one PDF file by email to: Roxanne Bibra (manifesto-jobs [at] wzb.eu).
The job interviews are expected to take place on 4-5 June 2019.
Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung (WZB), Reichpietschufer 50, 10785 Berlin