VPN means Virtual Private Network.
Via VPN you can access the WZB Intranet from outside of the WZB.
Please contact the IT department. They will activate your account for VPN use.
2. Configuration and Software download
Connect to the user portal https://castor.wzb.eu:8080. Due to safety reasons this is only possible at the WZB.
Under Remote Access → SSL-VPN you can find the necessary configuration files for Windows Vista/7/8/10 and the software. You can choose from the following downloads:
- Full version for Windows Vista/7/8/10
- Update version for Windows Vista/7/8/10 (for Windows user who want to update their full version or who already use OpenVPN)
- Linux, Macintosh, BSD, Solaris (only configuration files, no program)
Save the files on an USB flash drive or any other portable storage medium and transport them to the computer that you want to use VPN with for connecting to the WZB.
If you do not use Windows Vista/7/8/10 you have to download OpenVPN Software separately.
Ensure that you use the right version when downloading: 64-bit or 32-bit. The download version has to match your windows version, usually 64-bit.
Download for Macintosh: Tunnelblick (https://tunnelblick.net) including instructions.
Download for Linux: through the package management software of your Linux distribution.
3. Windows Installation
Administration rights are required.
During the installation you may get a massage saying that an unauthorized driver needs to be installed. Please choose 'continue installation'.
After successful installation the VPN client appears in form of a small traffic light sign in your taskbar (usually quite at the bottom).
4. Connecting to the WZB
Precondition: You have to be connected to the Internet. Via right-clicking you can start the connection ('connect'). You are asked to enter your user name and password. After successful registration you are connected to the WZB and you can use all regular services (Intranet, library system, fileserver).
Quick check: Open WZB's home page - you should see 'Intranet' in the navigation on the left hand side.
5. Network drive
The well-known network drive M has to be included manually. In order to do that you need to click on 'Options' in your Windows Explorer → 'connect network drive' and choose a drive letter (e.g. M: ). Enter \\selene.wzb.eu\wzb at 'server'. If you are not using your WZB account on a WZB computer, please click on connection under different user name and enter your WZB log in data.
On Windows, you have to be part of the “network configuration operators” group, as long as your user account has no administration rights.
Using the VPN connection you are part of the WZB network. If you are browsing the internet on the side, all traffic runs via the WZB which has the following consequences:
- You can distribute malware in our home network. Please use up-to-date antivirus software and scan your system regularly.
- Keep your system software up-to-date to minimize security gabs.
- You are only allowed to use the connection for official purposes.
- All data concerning connections and traffic are logged as stated in the corresponding company agreement.
- We do not offer support for any computer not owned by the WZB! You are using the OpenVPN Software at your own risk.