1. Public Finance Data for 20 OECD Countries
This file contains 7 data sets for 20 OECD countries. The annual data series generally extend to the end of the 1990s. The seven sets cover the following areas:
1. General Government Expenditures and Revenues (generally starting in the
2. Tax Revenues of General Government (generally starting in the early 1950s);
3. & 4. Average Effective Tax Rates and Tax Bases (generally starting in the
5. General Government Public Employment (generally starting in early 1960s);
6. Consolidated Central Government Expenditures and Revenues
(generally starting in the early 1960s);
7. Centralization of Government Finances (generally starting in the early 1960s).
> download zipfile (public_finance_data_for_20_OECD_countries.zip 540k)
2. Center of Political Gravity Data Set
This file contains data on the electoral, legislative, and cabinet center of political gravity (based on Castles and Mair's expert survey codings) for 20 OECD countries. The time series generally run from 1950 through 1996.
> download zipfile (center_of_political_gravity.zip 73k)
3. Parties, Governments and Legislatures Data Set
This file contains a collection of folders with an update (Autumn 2007) to the PGL data set (and some SPSS and Perl utility programs) that provides information on political parties, governments, and legislatures in 24 OECD countries. The data are generally for the period from the mid-late 1940's to around the year 2005. The raw data contain information on party ideology (based on Comparative Manifesto Project data as well as expert codings), participation in government, and strength in the lower house of the national parliament (as well strength in the upper house in the countries with bicameral legislatures). These raw data are contained in two files. Aggregated information on context (describing characteristics of the government, the government coalition and the opposition in the lower house, and where appropriate, the government coalition and the opposition in the upper house) is supplied in a set of files (each based on a different measure of ideological position). In addition, files with quarterly and yearly aggregations are also available. A set of SPSS syntax files and Perl scripts are available for the user who wishes to define ideological position on the basis of some other formulation than the four used here. Two documentation files are also included, one describing the structures of the data files and outlining the procedures to be undertaken by those who wish to measure ideology in a different way, and the other providing notes on documentation.
> download zipfile (the_pgl_collection.zip 2,962k)