Changing Societies - New Frameworks for Societal Policies and Decision Making
The Franco-German Research Program of the Humanities and Social Sciences aimed at fostering the interdisciplinary exchange and collaboration between French and German researchers.
The main focus of the collaboration lied on the joint, interdisciplinary and critical assessment of key social changes. Various aspects of these transformation processes were investigated and new criteria for their evaluation developed. The guiding research questions were:
1. What are central ecological, economic, and societal changes of our times?
2. How can we adequately describe, measure, and compare these changes between countries and over time?
"Changing Societies" took into account both qualitative and quantitative research methods in a wide range of areas such as business, (work) life and migration. Researchers from various academic fields such as history, sociology, economics, political science, law, philosophy, mathematics, statistics, anthropology, literature etc. worked within seven areas of interest:
1. The Changing World of Work, Care and Family Life
2.Transformation of Economic Elites and Discourses
3. New Evaluative Frameworks in Politics, Health and Education
4. The Challenge of Migration and Integration
5. New Perspectives on the Social-Ecological Crisis
6. Evaluating Crises and Conflicts in Modern Democracy
7. Diagnoses of Contemporary Societies and Social Change
"Changing Societies" regularly organized conferences and workshops on various social challenges. An overview of previous events and the respective conference reports can be found on our blog.
Our final conference "Changing Societies - New Frameworks for Modern Societies" took place on April 10, 2018. Information and impressions can be found here.
Project presentation on our partners website (FMSH)
Scientific resource by CIERA about Germany
Scientific resource by CIERA about France
Press reviews about Germany in French